The hormonal ramblings of an Art Mama.

Friday, August 12, 2005

A wiser person than myself once spoke these sagely words: be careful what you ask for, you may get it.

A dark and drizzling Friday afternoon. I'm sat here behind the magic glowing box that is my computer monitor, whilst Ridley has his afternoon nap. Several weeks ago I worried, I fretted, I complained about Ridley's inability to nap for a length of time greater than 30 minutes. After perusing various baby-related web sites and spending some cash on Marc Weissbluth's "Healthy Sleeping Habits, Happy Child" (the book-du-jour for overtired infants and their frazzled parents), I've managed to get Rid to nap successfully, sometimes for 2-3 hours at a time. The result of which, however, means that between his 2-3 daytime naps and feedings, I'm trapped -- hopelessly, desperately trapped -- inside the house. Sigh. Well, he is, indeed, a happier baby for the extra sleep, so it's a small price to pay.

Other than the rain, though, today's been a good day. Two days ago, however, was a very bad day indeed. At least, we'll classify it a dramatic day. Ridley fell from the changing pad WHAP! onto the hardwood floor in his bedroom. I was stood right there, clean diaper in hand, and he suddenly heaves his body off the table. Shit. I know, I know, I should've had the little changing pad strap on him. I generally do these days, as he's become very physically active, twisting and writhing like a little fish. Mea Culpa! Thankfully, Rid was wearing his molding helmet (see earlier post below), so his head was protected.

Naturally, I rushed him to the Emergency Department at Toronto East General, wringing my hands with shame and worry. The doctors saw him almost immediately and, yes, he's perfectly fine. I was expecting a lecture from the doctor on securing babies to changing tables, but received none. In fact, they even joked about the fact that he was wearing a "football helmet", as they referred to it.

Childrens' Aid workers have yet to appear at my front door, demanding that I hand over the child due to my obvious lack of parental competency. Perhaps it's a good thing, then, that we're laying low on this rainy afternoon.

Ah, I feel the burden of my guilt lift ever so slightly off my maternal shoulders. Thank you, my Blog Confessor
.

1 Comments:

Blogger Just the Goods said...

Eeek! So sorry to hear about Ridley launching off the change table, but if it makes you feel better, I was dropped twice and I'd say I turned out okay. Hell, it may have even been what shook my brain into the creative stew that it is now. Or at least, that’s what I’ll let myself believe ;-)

11:24 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home