The hormonal ramblings of an Art Mama.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Over the past week I have been composing an essay on my art practice for the 'Featured Artist' section of an arts e-zine.* While I certainly appreciate the publicity for my work, I have to admit that the writing that frequently accompanies this publicity is not my favourite part of the job. In this instance, it's not a matter of having to research the subject of the essay, but rather forcing myself to bang away at the keyboard on a Sunday afternoon when I'd rather be....oh....watching vintage '80's music videos on YouTube.

(sheepish grin)

I know, I know. Major work-avoidance behaviour. Here's a video gem that I unearthed during my bout of essay-procrastination: Laurie Anderson's surprise pop-chart hit from 1982, 'O Superman'. It's difficult to imagine an offering from an experimental media artist such as Anderson ever finding it's way into the mainstream in today's musical mediocrity.



Unlike the majority of '80's videos, this one has aged surprisingly well. While I wouldn't describe her as a singer, Anderson's melodic, sing-song speech sounds as hypnotic as when I first encountered it back in those heady highschool days. Anderson brilliantly evokes a menacing sense of calm.

*more on this at a later date.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home