The hormonal ramblings of an Art Mama.

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Podcasting has saved my sanity.

I begin this post with what may be a shocking revelation to some: that working from home can be lonely. I'm thrilled to have the opportunity to pursue my passion, namely my art. However, as with many other creative vocations, it's one that you perform in solitude. Well, okay, periodically I rent the facilities at a printmakers' studio in downtown Toronto and actually hold conversations with other artists. Most of the time, though, I'm puttering about in my home studio.

The one thing, and indeed the only thing, that I miss about my last place of employment is the camaraderie I enjoyed with my co-workers. The radio helps ease some of the silence of solitude because, though it is not a two-way conversation, at least it's another voice in the room. For years I've been a devotee of CBC Radio One. However, lately I find that the ol' CBC is just plain boring -- at least during the daytime. I mean, how many gardening tips does one really need to listen to? I abandoned commerical radio many years ago, as it's simply a morass of mediocrity. (Can someone please explain to me why Madonna is a big celebrity when she can bearly carry a note?).

And so enters podcasting. Ah, salvation! Finally, something with a little content. Here's some really, really great podcasts that I recently discovered:

The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd http://www.doctorfloyd.com/blog/rss.xml
Cush - Things I Say http://feeds.feedburner.com/CushthingsISay
Reel Reviews http://reelreviewsradio.com/podcast.xml

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home