The hormonal ramblings of an Art Mama.

Friday, December 23, 2005

The official photo of Ridley's 2005 Christmas. As it has been pointed out to me innumerable times by those whom I would describe (with utmost respect & humour) as sticklers for details, this is, in fact, Ridley's second Christmas. He was born on December 25th in 2004. It is, however, truly & undeniably Ridley's first birthday. I was merely attracted to the symmetry of "first Christmas-first birthday". Now get over it.

There's a curious legacy of Christmas Babies in the Linton family. This phenomena began with the birth of my cousin Sorena. I followed exactly three years later on Christmas of 1968. Then, 36 years (gulp) later and -- voila! -- Ridley Linton-Martin is born! What are the odds?! Beats me. Mathematics and I haven't been on speaking-terms for several years.

Advantages of Being a Christmas Baby:

1. Novelty factor. Having your birthday on a major holiday sets you apart from all those boring, mundane, ho-hum birthdays. My parents always placed a positive spin on my Christmas birthday, telling me how "special" I was to have my birthday on such an auspicious date.

2. It is most likely that you will find yourself in a gathering a people on your birthday. These people may be largely composed of your family, but it can't be all that bad, can it? (Note to family members: kidding).

3. There will likely be a whole bunch of food lying around, much of which you neither bought nor made. Bonus.

4. You have the option of celebrating an "unbirthday" on whatever date you prefer. Mine has always been September 2nd, as this was my maternal grandmother's birthday.

Disadvantages of Being a Christmas Baby:

1. You've never had your locker decorated at school.

2. There is the potential of getting jipped on your presents. Be vigilant and make sure this never happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home