The hormonal ramblings of an Art Mama.

Sunday, November 25, 2007

In memorandum: Harry Rogers Linton


September 10th, 2007 marked the one year anniversary of the death of my father Harry Rogers Linton. At that time, I considered writing a post to commemorate this sad event, but found myself uncharacteristically at a loss for words. Which is not to say that I haven't thoughts to share on the subject, only that I am reluctant to share such intimate and personal thoughts on a blog. Believe it or not, I actually do believe that there are some things which should remain private.

What I will share with you, my Blog Confessor, are some lasting impressions I have of my father. Though he possessed only a high school education, he was an articulate and natively bright man with a quick wit and astounding memory. Up until the very last years of his life, when chronic illness finally dulled his formerly sharp mind, he could clearly recall the telephone numbers of every household in which he'd lived in his seventy-seven years.

He was also possessed of an impressive vocabulary, with which he frequently, though playfully, taunted me in my childhood. I believe I was in early grade school when I finally consulted the dictionary to learn what the word recalcitrant* meant, as it was one of his favourite adjectives for me. How prescient (sly smile).

I will leave you with a photograph of my dad from happier, healthier days. This photo of my parents appears to date from the 1950's, long before I was born.

*recalcitrant= "resisting authority or control; not obedient or compliant; refractory."

1 Comments:

Blogger village mama said...

Lovely homage.

11:42 a.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home