The hormonal ramblings of an Art Mama.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sure, but they love me in Portugal...or not?

The Vanity Google, part III

In earlier posts I've written about what is colloquially known as the "vanity Google". For those unfamiliar with this term (and possibly living under a rock) it refers to the common practice of entering one's own name into the popular search engine Google to see what exists out there with your name (or your namesake) attached to it. I perform this act with some frequency as I often stumble across some very interesting and, at times, curious use of my art in the public domain.

This evening I discovered a blog written in Portuguese that features several of my images along with some sort of discussion of my art as it relates to contemporary feminist theory. Or rather, I think this is the case. I confess that I don't understand Portuguese, and therefore am at a considerable disadvantage to discern the intent of the blog's author.

Just for fun, I decided to enter the Portuguese text into one of those notoriously bad online translators. As you might imagine, it yielded some fairly entertaining results:

(Here's the original Portguese text)
"Jennifer Linton, que tenho agora em exposição, é uma artista canadiana que se afirma feminista. Não feminista no sentido histórico do termo, a atitude quase bélica e exagerada que se tornou cliché e em que se pensa com desdém e troça, mas um feminismo reactualizado e presente: as mulheres continuam a não ser iguais em todos os cantos do mundo, a maior minoria.

O seu próprio corpo, a sua cara, são por onde passa tudo o que faz. As imagens refletem a vida: a vida como mulher, o corpo, a moralidade, os valores, a maternidade, a infância e os seus mitos. Aspectos da vida quotidiana, leia-se anti-épica, normalmente associada às mulheres, mas que se infiltra hoje na arte e na escrita de homens que tomam para si essa nova visão do mundo, possível apenas muitos milhares de anos decorridos no caminho da evolução.

Posso dizer que Jennifer Linton não é genial, nem a vejo assim. Mas gosto das cores, gosto de algum desenho, gosto dos retratos e os seus temas são os meus."


(And now the English "translation"):
"Jennifer Linton, whom I have now in exhibition, is an artist canadiana what affirms feminist. Not feminist in the historical sense of the term, the almost war and exaggerated attitude that became a cliche and about that one thinks with scorn and ridicules, but a reup-to-date and present feminism: the women keep on not being the same in all the corners of the world, the biggest minority.

His body itself, his face, they are where it passes everything what it does. The images reflect the life: the life like woman, the body, the morality, the values, the motherhood, the childhood and his myths. Aspects of the everyday life, be read anti-epic, normally associated to the women, but what permeate today in the art and in the men's writing that they take for you this new vision of the world, possible you punish many thousands of years passed in the way of the evolution.

I can say which Jennifer Linton is not brilliant, do not even see it so. But I like the colors, like some drawing, like the portraits and his subjects are mine."


Ah huh. Regardless of the intent behind your post -- which may forever be shrouded in mystery -- I'd like to take this opportunity to express my gratitude to the unknown Portuguese (or possibly Brazilian) author.

Muito obrigado!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ana V. said...

:))) Portuguese. And I do love you work, and it is Cascais, Portugal.
Here's a somewhat better translation that may lift the shroud of mystery (or not) :)

"Jennifer Linton, that I now exhibit [not any more] is a Canadian artist who calls herself a feminist. Not a feminist in the historical sense of the word, the almost warlike and exacerbated attitude that became a cliché and that is referred to with desdain, but an updated feminism: women are still unequal all around the world as mulheres continuam a não ser, the largest minority.

Her own body and face are the startpoint of everything she does. Images reflect life: life as a woman, morality, values, maternity, infancy and its myths. Aspects of daily life, non-epic, usually associated to women but now coming to art and literature by both men and women, something only possible today [ignore the blabber here].

I could say Jennifer Linton is not a genious, I don't see her work as such. But I like the colors, I like the lines, I like the portraits and her themes are mine."

There, I do like your work, sorry for the bad writing!

10:00 p.m.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home